The JBL Flip 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker is designed to be the life of the party with a thumping bass and multi-speaker linkage, among other rager-friendly features.
JBL Flip 4 Review
Connect to up to two mobile devices
The JBL Flip 4 allows you to connect up to two mobile devices, meaning you can connect two phones, two tablets, or one phone and one tablet—whichever combo you want, and alternate between them. This is great for having a head-to-head playlist battle with your best friend; you know yours is better, after all.
One of the coolest features the JBL Flip 4 has to offer is easily its compatibility with JBL Connect+ technology. With this feature, the JBL Flip 4 can wirelessly link with more than 100 JBL Connect+ enabled speakers. That means that this humble portable Bluetooth speaker can transform into the hub of a super-speaker array of our own making—great for parties, especially outdoors.
Long battery life with lithium-ion battery
The JBL Flip 4 is powered via li-ion battery power, which is much more reliable than older generation battery types—and boosts power longevity. Thanks to having such a spiffy battery, the JBL Flip 4 can run for a full 12 hours. This means that your speaker can pull an all-nighter, being the life of the party without fear of crashing.
Waterproof and ultradurable
A lot of devices say they’re waterproof, but they’re really just water-resistant. And when I say water-resistant, I mean, they’re not even so much that when you read the fine print. But JBL makes a bold claim about the Flip 4: It’s legit waterproof. In fact, it’s officially rated as IPX7 waterproof, so not only can it be rained on, it’s also touted as being able to survive submersion. Once again, JBL puts forward a feature designed to not only be party-friendly but outdoor-friendly with the Flip 4. The fabric exterior materials are designed to be ultradurable as well, so you don’t have to worry about them getting scuffed or ripped on the patio furniture.
The JBL Flip 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker isn’t only designed for music, partying and general ruggedness. It’s also designed to enhance productivity. With high-quality sound, conference calls come in clear and echo-free, showing those on the other end of the line just how professional you are. You can also synch it to your voice assistant, so connecting to Siri or Google Now is as simple as pressing a button.
Looks-wise, the JBL Flip 4 is pretty sleek. I got the black option because I’m like that. The primary colors to me felt a little basic, but if I were to get an option with color, it’d easily be the turquoise (or is it teal?). Any way you slice it, though, there’s a color option for everyone out there, which is a nice consideration, since mainly younger people—who value individuality—will be the most likely users of this speaker.
On portability alone, I give the JBL Flip 4 five stars. It’s lightweight, weighing less than two pounds. A person could easily fit it in their messenger bag or purse—even a pocket, depending on the size of the pocket. You don’t feel like your lugging around some huge, obvious portable speaker, which is nice. I appreciate the discretion—especially since I plan to occasionally take it to work.
While I don’t personally see myself using this particular feature very much, it is kinda cool that you can connect two separate devices. I can see this being used by the younger crowd for hanging out or whatever kids do these days. (I’m not old—I’m just adulting right now.)
One of the biggest draws is easily the JBL Connect+ feature which enables you to connect your Flip 4 to any other JBL Connect+ compatible speaker—as many as 100 or more speakers, in fact. This could be a huge thing for high school parties, Greek houses, beach parties—anything where social people may be found for on-the-fly partying sound.
Speaking of sound, the Flip 4’s sound is what surprised me the most. It’s robust and clear. It’s great for using as a speaker phone, too; extra functionality is always appreciated.
The JBL Flip 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker is the perfect outdoor portable speaker. With its all-weather durability and waterproofness, you can’t beat it for a poolside speaker when hanging out with friends—especially if they, too, have JBL Connect+ devices that you can all link together to turn your one Bluetooth speaker into a full sound system. The versatility plus the sound quality are both big wins overall for the JBL Flip 4, making it incredibly likable.
- Wireless Bluetooth music streaming
- Connects to two mobile devices simultaneously (can be used with smartphones and tablets and in combination with each other)
- Lithium-ion battery power, rechargeable battery included
- 12 hours active listening battery life
- JBL Connect+ technology allows users to link up with more than 100 other JBL Connect+ enabled speakers for an ultimate portable party sound system
- Dual external passive bass radiators pump up the bass
- IPX7 waterproof rated—can be submerged and survive
- Weatherproof—safe for use in rain
- Durable fabric material—beach ready
- Can be used as a speakerphone for conference calls
- Voice assistant integration allows you to connect with Siri or Google Now by simply pressing a button to activate
- Lightweight at 1.8 pounds
- Comes in 6 different colors to suit every style
- Great volume range
- Portable speaker with robust sound
- Some feel the bass isn’t robust enough, however many are pleased with it. This may be a personal preference thing. Many in the middle ground feel the overall clarity of the Flip 4 outweighs this small issue compared to more bass-heavy options that come with more distortion. This is really a personal preference thing, but worth mentioning.
JBL Flip 4
- Design & Quality