A gaming laptop is a laptop that is built for someone who enjoys playing demanding games. They feature specs that provide the user an experience that is as close as it can get to using a desktop computer for gaming without all of the bulk and with plenty of the portability. Perfect for taking to LAN parties, gaming laptops are powerful machines that incorporate the use of both high end processors and beautiful graphics cards to afford the most efficient and fun gaming experience possible. I have taken it upon myself to review a few of what I think are the best gaming laptops around to help you make an informed decision before your purchase.
Best Gaming Laptop
ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VM 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop
Top Features of the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop
My favorite kind of keyboard is the mechanical keyboard. A lot of gamers share a similar mindset, and this is because with a mechanical keyboard, I can get audible and tactile clicks that let me know that I am hitting the precise key that I meant to hit. The ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop has the keys nicely spaced at a distance of 1.6 millimeters to ensure precision keystrokes. The makers of this gaming laptop were even considerate enough to highlight the most used keys on any gamer’s keyboard: WASD. I also can see where my fingers need to be, and I can feel it, too. These specially designed chiclet gaming keys each have a red, backlit scissor switch that is ultra comfortable. I never have to worry about a mistype with the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop.
Compatible with Virtual Reality Games
One of my favorite features of the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop is its ability to work with virtual reality games! This is the next big thing in gaming, so having a laptop that is already prepared to play these VR games is wonderful. This immersive laptop also features stutter-free gaming thanks to its GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card. The ASUS ROG STRIX also has an ultra powerful processor that boots up immediately and loads any and all files and applications right away. The 6th Generation Intel Skylake Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz Processor is also able to over clock up to 3.5 GHz, which is super impressive and allows me to game at impossibly fast speeds.
Impressive DDR4 Memory
The ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop also helps enhance my gaming experience thanks to its 16 GB DDR4 memory. It supports up to 24 GB, thanks to its four available DDR4 slots. I like the fact that I can add in more RAM at any given time which, of course, means that I can boost it whenever I want to and give my laptop plenty of overhead space, so to speak, for over clocking the RAM to my liking. This delivers an improvement in capacity and speed as well as a lower consumption of power to make everything run exceptionally smooth.
The ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop has an intelligent thermal design that has a duo-copper cooling system. This system uses two fans and heat pipes to cool both the CPU and GPU independently, ensuring the optimum performance of both. This design maximizes the cooling power that gives the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop the stability needed for long gaming sessions that I often partake in on the weekends.
Finally, the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop is incredibly portable and easy to hold in the hand. It has a super thin profile that measures just under a single inch and it only weights 4.75 pounds. These are impressive measurements for such a powerful gaming laptop. It fits easily in any of my backpacks and messenger bags that I often take with me to cafes, airports, train stations and most commonly, LAN parties!
- 2 independent copper fans
- 4 DDR4 slots
- Ability to over clock up to 3.5 GHz
- Highlighted WASD keys
- Lag-free GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
- Measures under an inch in thickness and weighs only 4.75 pounds
- Mechanical keyboard with a travel distance of 1.6 millimeters
- Standard 16 GB DDR4 memory that can support up to 24 GB
- Tactile and audible keystrokes
- Ultra portable
- Virtual reality compatible
- Battery life. While browsing reviews online, I have noticed that there were a few reports that indicated that the ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop had a poor battery life. I have not experienced this issue myself, but even if the battery does die for some users after a few hours of non-stop use, I have learned that I like to keep my gaming laptops plugged in to the power source most of the time that I play anyways to ensure a constant flow of power that won’t interrupt my games. That said, I would hardly consider the battery life a downside, especially if you are not using it in order to constantly play virtual reality games, as those tend to use up the battery life much more quickly.
ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop
Top Features of the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop
Incredible Matte Display
One of the most beautiful aspects about the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop is its beautiful, striking matte display screen, which promises no glare from the sun coming in through the windows or even through the artificial light in a home. It measures 15.6 inches and has 1920 by 1080 resolution that makes every game that I play into a serious masterpiece. It features what the company calls ASUS Splendid Technology that works with the already remarkable display by employing its 4 present modes that make the colors on the screen pop to life, delivering immersive and stunning visuals with color shades that are unprecedented in other gaming laptops. Pair that with the NVIDIA Optimus Technology that fine tunes the GPU automatically to deliver amazing graphics or reduce the battery life depending on what programs the laptop is running, making it perfect for gaming, even in games that are incredibly detailed with maps and locations. The included backlit keyboard only adds to the beauty of the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop, rounding out to an aesthetic that has me claiming this as the best gaming laptop for visual appeal.
High End Graphics Card and Powerful Processor
This laptop perfectly runs the Windows 10 operating system for a smooth performance every time I power it on. This is due to the robust 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz processor that the ASUS K501UX uses, more commonly known as Skylake. Skylake is a super thin processor that takes up no space at all and is capable of over clocking the RAM in 1 MHz increments. This definitely makes me feel like I am getting a competitive edge in online gaming. The ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop also employs the use of a superb NVIDIA GeForce GTC 950M graphic card meant exclusively for the use of gaming. The NVIDIA line has always been one of my favorites, if not THE favorite, graphics cards to use, not only because of its excellent reputation but because it actually has the power to back up these claims. This NVIDIA graphics card lets me create beautiful presentations, but the graphics in my games are what is truly notable here. They are truly outstanding and awe inspiring. Working with Direct X 11, this graphic card presents me with some of the best visuals I have ever seen. It is also worth mentioning that it comes stocked with 8 GB of RAM along with 256GB SSD storage.
Smart Dual Fan Cooling System
The ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop comes with an upgraded cooling system that works hard to cool both the GPU and the CPU for optimum performance. This cooling system comes with copper fans that provide remarkable cooling, keeping temperatures low to stop any overheating and promising the stability of my system. I love this because most of the gaming laptops that I have get unnecessarily hot way too quickly, causing me to worry about the state of my laptop and switching off my computer the moment I hear the fans begin to whirr. I do not have that problem with the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop. It never gets super hot to the touch which makes me feel secure when using it.
The ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop comes complete with impeccable sound quality on top of the rest of its impressive features.
Using what they call the ASUS SonicMaster, this gaming laptop boasts a mixture of software, hardware and tuning that has given me some of the most crystal clear audio that I have had the pleasure of listening to on a gaming laptop. There is a professional codec that delivers the precision of sound, while an optimized amplifier gives me much louder volume than I am used to coming from a laptop. There are big speakers and resonance chambers that even afford me the pleasure of a deeper, richer base. The signal processing in the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop helps to tune the hardware and improves audio by filtering out unnecessary noise.
- 1920 by 1080 resolution
- 4 preset color modes
- Backlit keyboard
- Beautiful matte display resists glares
- Dual copper fan cooling system
- Loud speakers
- NVIDIA GeForce GTC 950M graphics card
- Optimized battery life
- Precise, filtered sound
- Date and time settings with the first few usages. I hardly consider this a downside, but it was a minor annoyance for me so I did feel it was necessary to bring it up to any readers. Upon turning the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop on for the first time, the date and time were wrong. That is okay–it is to be expected with a new computer, and all I had to do was go in the manually fix it. My laptop went into sleep mode and upon opening it, the date and time had incorrectly reset again. This happened for the first three or four times that I turned on the ASUS K501UX 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop or woke it up from its sleep, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. If you can deal with this minor hiccup the first few times that you use it, this laptop is going to impress you in every other way.
Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop
Top Features of the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop
The Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop packs a powerful punch. It features the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, an ultra powerful video card that produces incredible graphics. The combination of its 512 GB PCIe SSD and its massive 16 GB RAM give me performance that I would only expect from a desktop computer! No matter how demanding of a game I choose to play on the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop, it outshines my expectations. This system, with its 6th Gen Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor, even supports the HTC Vive as well as the ultra exciting and futuristic Oculus Rift. This processor, which is normally only found in thick notebooks, provides me with the power of quad-core processing and turbo boost speeds to automatically up the speed of the active cores up to an impressive 3.5 GHz.
Thin and Easy to Carry
It is surprising to me that such a thin and lightweight gaming laptop could hold such a powerful processor–I will admit that; however, it does and it does so well. The Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop is impossibly thin, measuring only .7 inches in thickness. It is made from an aluminum chassis and the entire thing weighs in at a mere 4.16 pounds! This makes the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop perfect for taking on my travels or bringing over to a friend’s house for LAN gaming. This is definitely the best gaming laptop for those who enjoy taking their gaming on the go.
Magnificent Touchscreen Display
The touchscreen display on the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop measures 14 inches in size. This IPS QHD+ touchscreen definitely adds efficiency and simplicity to my overall experience. Because of the aforementioned NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card, everything on the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop screen looks amazing. It lets me run my favorite graphics-intensive games at decent settings thanks to its high speed FinFET Technology as well as its support of DirectX 12. This high definition performance also translates well to virtual reality games for an even more immersive experience that runs up to three times as fast as older GPUs.
The frame rates on the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop are also seriously impressive. The screen features ultra wide viewing angles and quick response times that reduce any sort of blurring. I did notice that it gives me the enjoyment of accurate colors no matter what angle I am playing from and has a nice 350-nit high brightness thanks to the LED backlight. I can play just about anywhere without sacrificing video quality.
Anti-Ghosting, Colorful Keyboard
The Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop also has an anti-ghosting keyboard that lets me make the right keyboard strokes each and every time. What helps me in this as well are the 16.8 million color options available on each key that I can change at any time, helping me to pay more attention to what I am doing. It features Razer Synapse which lets me remap all of my keys and build macros. It even lets me sync these keys between other Chroma enabled machines that lets me have a unique set up no matter where I play. I like this because I can change my keyboard to show my MMO guild colors, match it with the colors of my room, choose my favorite color or simply change up the colors every other day or so for a fresh, new looking laptop.
Unique Thunderbolt 3 Port
Last but not least, I want to briefly touch upon the awesome Thunderbolt 3 port on the Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop. This port does everything! It has a thunderbolt port for daisy chaining a number of other devices. It also works as a standard USB port as well as a DisplayPort that works over the ever impressive USB-C. This allows me to customize my gaming laptop like never before and set it up exactly how I want it.
- 16 GB RAM
- 16.8 million keyboard light options
- 512 GB PCIe SSD
- 6th Gen Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor
- Anti-ghosting keyboard
- High speed FinFET technology
- Measures .7 inches; weights 4.16 pounds
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card
- Over clocking up to 3.5 GHz
- Razer Synapse ability
- Supports DirectX 12
- Supports VR/Oculus Rift
- Thunderbolt port with USB and USB-C
- Price. The Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop is certainly one of the pricier gaming laptops that I am reviewing. That said, you get what you pay for with this powerful laptop. It can do virtually anything and play high intensity games at maxed out settings. It delivers desktop quality performance on a notebook that only measures .7 inches in thickness; it is like having a desktop computer that you can easily take anywhere. The Razer Blade 14″ QHD+ Touchscreen Gaming Laptop features the Razer Synapse ability with Chroma lighting and anti-ghosting keyboards, and most impressively, it can support the use of Oculus Rift, which is tricky to find on a gaming laptop. These and so much more make it a truly valuable laptop that is definitely worth the price.
ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop
Top Features of the ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop
Smooth and Robust Processor
For starters, the ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop comes standard with a powerful, 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz processor. This processor not only allows the gaming laptop to boot up at lightning fast speeds, it allows for over clocking to occur at impressive increments of 1 GHz. The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop also features 512 GB SSD, allowing me to store virtually anything that I could think of an be able to access it immediately. Games, movies, text files, music–everything I need is available and right at my fingertips, ready for instant start up.
Crystal Clear Audio
The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop truly displays an impressive array of sounds. Oftentimes when it comes to gaming or standard use laptops alike, it seems that the creators do not put much time and thought into the sound aspect of a laptop; however, that is not the case with the ASUS K501UW-AB78. I get to enjoy impeccable sound quality thanks to a beautiful blend of tuning, software and hardware that all work seamlessly in what ASUS calls the ASUS SonicMaster. It was very obviously developed with the intention of delivering some of the best audio I have ever heard on a notebook. There is a professional codec that gives incredible sound. Large speakers and resonance chambers work with the optimized amplifier to give me rich bass tones that are hard to come by in a notebook. Finally, the ASUS SonicMaster has a signal processor that filters out noise and delivers ultimate clarity. It is because of the ASUS SonicMaster that I think this is the best gaming laptop in terms of sound quality.
Smart Dual Fan Cooling System
Keeping a gaming laptop cool always seems like such an impossible task. The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop seems to have taken this fact into consideration when designing this gaming laptop in particular. It features a cooling system that has been upgraded with independently operating fans made of copper that are specifically designed to cool both the CPU as well as the GPU. This remarkable cooling system does an excellent job at preventing the overheating of my laptop to prevent any instability while working on tasks that are processor-demanding or, more importantly, while running high intensity games like I so often like to do for hours on end.
Besides its overall performance, one of the things that I look for with a new gaming computer is the way it displays its graphics. The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop is the perfect example of everything a gaming laptop should be in terms of visuals. It utilizes the highly sought-after NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card that makes even my most demanding games striking and exquisite. Working in harmony with Direct X 11, the ASUS K501UW-AB78 lets me enjoy the highest definition of my games, while the processor lets me run it at high settings, the two of which combine for a stunning visual experience.
The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop also is equipped with NVIDIA Optimus Technology that works to automatically tune the GPU for better graphics display. The cool thing about the Optimus is that it also can detect when battery life needs to take precedence over graphics and then boosts the battery instead. Finally, the ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop uses what they call ASUS Splendid Technology that also enhances the display of the notebook panels. It offers 4 preset modes that help with the colors’ vibrancy. All three of these work together to add layers and layers of exceptional visual performance, all on a 1920 by 1080 resolution screen.
I want to quickly touch on some of the specs offered by the ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop. It is optimized for a Windows 10 operating system which promises years of upgrades and functionality to come. It has a 15.6-inch matte FHD display that prevents glare and an 8GB of RAM. The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop comes with a gigabit dual-band 802.11AC super fast Wi-Fi system. It also features 2 USB 2.0 ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports, a headphone-out and audio-in combination jack, a LAN insert, an HDMI insert and a card reader.
- 15.6 inch matte display
- 512 GB SSD
- All of the specs expected in a high quality laptop; USB ports, HDMI port, audio in/out jack and LAN insert
- ASUS SonicMaster sound
- ASUS Splendid Technology
- Dual copper fans to cool GPU and CPU
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card
- Over clocks at increments of 1 GHz
- Powerful 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz processor
- No battery that can be removed by the user. The ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop does not contain a user-removable battery, which does hamper my ability to carry around a spare battery, as I like to do when traveling or when going to a friend’s house for a LAN party. That said, this powerful gaming laptop has a great battery life, so I do not see this becoming much of an issue at all for me. There is always the option of carrying around the power cord instead of an extra battery. It is for this reason that I consider this to be a minor flaw in an overall fantastic, powerful, high-performance gaming laptop.
Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop
Top Features of the Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop
Alienware is perhaps one of the better-known brands when it comes to gaming laptops. The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop stands up to the brand’s standards and seems to outshine the competition. It features an Intel Core i7-6700HQ 3.5 GHz Processor that can over clock at a maximum of an impressive 3.5 GHz, making this gaming laptop run impeccably smooth and impossibly fast. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 Graphics card that allows for beautiful gameplay graphics that run smoothly, effortlessly and without any lag. The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop also features a 16 GB DDR4 RAM that comes standard in this gaming laptop. The laptop itself has a 32 GB maximum capability, letting me have the option of adding even more RAM and an even greater over clocking capacity for incredibly fast speeds.
As I stated in another review, one of the most important things about a gaming laptop to me has to be the keyboard. After all, that is where half of the magic happens, so to speak, so it is imperative that the keyboard functions how I need it to. The way I prefer it is to have it where I can without a doubt feel and hear each key that I press make that clicking sensation that tells me that I have pressed the correct keys. Thanks to the upgraded Alienware TactX keyboard, I have the ability to use N key rollover. This enables me to use over 108 unique key commands, letting me perform the most accurate per-minute actions during my games. The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop has a traveling distance of 2.2 millimeters in between its tactile keys, letting me be sure of every single key that I press. I receive both audible and tactile clicking responses that make no mistake and eliminate keyboard ghosting. This translates as rapid response from keystroke to on-screen action for accurate and precise movements no matter what.
Beautiful Display Screen
The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop features a visually stunning, anti-glare 15.6-inch screen that supports a resolution of up to 1920 by 1080 pixels for crisp and striking graphics. This screen also has an IPS Anti-Glare, 300-nits display that makes it bright enough for use in any light setting, be it natural or artificial, which makes it great for gaming absolutely anywhere at any time. The FHD 120Hz display has been designed to give me the smoothest, seamless gaming experience ever thanks to its 4-millisecond response time. It also comes with wide viewing angles for a unique vantage point both in game and out which definitely gives me an advantage. The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop has the ability to use NVIDIA G-Sync technology that offers the fastest and smoothest gaming experience since it is able to synchronize the display refresh rates with the GPU. This takes away the issue of screen tearing while also eliminating both input lag and display stutter which has made gaming a much nicer experience for me.
Designed to Keep Cool
The Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop has been designed to keep cool for long marathons of gaming. This is due to its use of a higher maximum thermal design power. What this means is that my computer is able to take on a much higher internal wattage for the components inside of it which in turn gives much better performance without ever having to worry about it overheating. Since the entire ventilation system of the Alienware AW15R3 has been optimized and upgraded, I can run my graphics at the highest setting without any concern, giving me a beautiful display that is worry free. I can also over clock my RAM without worrying about it getting too hot, which in turn, makes my laptop run more swiftly and more beautifully than ever before. This is the best gaming laptop in terms of cooling for sure.
Usage for Years to Come
Because the Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop comes standard with a Windows 10 operating system, I can be sure that this laptop will be able to play all of the newest games for quite some time to come. Because of this, I also know that I will be able to keep my computer running up to date and with the latest software more simply. I definitely feel like I am getting the most for my money with this fact tied into the other magnificent aspects of this laptop.
- 32 GB maximum capacity
- Anti-glare 300 nits display
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ 3.5 GHz Processor
- Lag-free NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 Graphics card
- Mechanical keyboard
- N-key rollover
- Over 108 key commands
- Over clocking up to 3.5 GHz
- Supports Windows 10
- Thermal power keeps the laptop cooler for longer
- Heavier than some other gaming laptops. Due to its thermal power, the Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV Laptop is a bit larger in size, both in how much it weighs and in its overall measurements. I do not even want to call this a downside because I know it is only this size due to its advanced cooling system; however, with many of the other gaming laptops I have been reviewing having been much smaller in size I felt it was worth mentioning. It is still portable and can easily be taken to things such as LAN parties, so I would not let this deter you.
HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop
Top Features of the Newest HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop
The HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop definitely stands up to the test and plays in the same leagues as these other laptops in terms of power and performance. This laptop features a super powerful Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz processor that can easily be clocked up to an impressive 3.5 GHz. This allows for my RAM to run at its highest capacity possible, therefore allowing my computer to do the same. This processor comes with a 6 MB cache and four separate cores, making things much more efficient than what a dual-core might afford. The HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop features a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M graphics card that gives me seamless, stutter-free gameplay on even my most graphics-intensive games. This really helps me feel like I am getting the most for the money and being able to use this versatile laptop for what I need it for the most without the system overworking definitely adds value to this laptop.
Displaying the beautiful graphics from the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M graphics card on the HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop is a sprawling, diagonal screen measuring 17.3 inches in size. This screen size gives me plenty of room to ensure that none of my graphics are left off of my in game screen, nor do they appear smashed and distorted in an effort to cram everything that I need to be able to see onto the screen. This anti-glare screen features a WLED backlight that resists glare well enough that I can use this out in the sun or even under harsh indoor lighting with no adverse effects or distractions. It features an impressive 3840 x 2160 4K resolution that also serves to bring my in game graphics to life as well. Finally, the HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop has a full island-style backlit keyboard that helps to keep me focused on what keys I need to be pressing.
Plenty of Space and Great Audio/Visual Capabilities
The HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop boasts 12 GB of RAM that comes included. This RAM works in harmony with my robust processor to give me smooth, lag-free usage that never seems to even get warm to the touch. The HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop also features an HP Wide Vision HD camera on its front that serves as a really nice webcam when I need it. In place of a headset in the event that I left mine at home, there is a dual array digital microphone that is pretty great at reducing noise interference and general distortion, making it so that whoever I am communicating with in game can hear me perfectly. Completing the audio aspect of the HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop are 2 broad speakers that provide better than average sound.
Up to 6 Hours of Battery Life
Something that usually deters me from wanting to use a gaming laptop instead of a desktop computer is the fact that most gaming laptops don’t seem to be able to go unplugged for a while. That is fine, as I can always just keep it plugged into a power source while I play, but sometimes I do enjoy the freedom of being able to use my computer without being tethered to the wall. The HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop promises an impressive 6 hours of battery life for continuous play before needing to be charged. Because of this, I can take it with me to coffee shops or anywhere else around town that I plan to spend a few hours without having to worry about bringing my charging cord along. I do not have to worry about rushing home after only using it away from the charger for an hour like some of the other gaming laptop systems that I have tried. This is definitely the best gaming laptop in terms of battery life that I have reviewed so far.
- 12 GB of RAM
- 17.3 inch antiglare screen
- 2 large speakers
- 6 MB cache
- Can be clocked up to 3.5 GHz
- Dual array microphones
- HP Wide Vision HD camera
- Impressive 6-hour battery life
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz processor
- Island-style backlit keyboard
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M graphics card
- WLED backlight
- Price. While I would not go so far as to call the Newest HP OMEN 17 17.3” UHD 4K Gaming and Business Laptop an ultra expensive gaming laptop, it is at a higher price point than some of the other gaming laptops that are available today. At the higher end of moderate in terms of pricing, many potential buyers might be off put from purchasing it because of its price, but I find that it is worth it. It comes standard with more RAM than most gaming laptops do and features both a powerful processor and top of the line graphics. I find it is worth the money.
Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer
Top Features of the Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer
Incredible Battery Life
A make or break aspect of a gaming computer for me personally is the battery life. I often like to game for hours on end and I can do so on a desktop with no problems. That said, I do want all of the convenience that a laptop can bring me in terms of portability. The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer brings me just that. Its battery capacity goes up to 94.24 Wh, giving me a much longer battery life than many other thin gaming laptops of its kind. Having such a large capacity for the battery gives me plenty of power for running even my most demanding games on the go. The best part is that I can play anything for twice as long as usual without having to run for the charger what feels like immediately after I power it on. I can take this anywhere on the town with me or to LAN parties, and it is perfect for travel situations such as waiting for a flight.
A True Gaming Platform
If you are anything like me, you like taking screenshots of the action while in game to share with other gamers. I can typically only screenshot one vantage point at a time, which sacrifices a lot of the visuals of what else was happening around me during that specific play. The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer fixes this by offering a solution I didn’t even know that I needed until I tried it out. The NVIDIA Ansel has an innovative new way to take screen shots in game. Once they are taken, I can see them from an entire 360-degree spectrum! I can compose them in any position and then, using post-process filters, adjust them to my liking. With these HDR images, I can share the entire 360-degree viewpoint on any medium–my computer, my smart phone or my virtual reality headset so that everyone else can see what I see. This is definitely the best gaming laptop when it comes to unique ability.
The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer also comes standard with VR Works that give me an impossibly low latency while playing VR. This also gives me plug and play compatibility with the more popular VR headsets. Its audio, haptics and physics are super immersive.
Includes NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 Series
The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer comes with the highly sought after NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 Series. This gives me the most recent Pascal architecture, delivering to me graphics that I would only expect on a desktop computer. Not only does this graphics card give me incredible efficiency and performance, it is ready for smooth, high-resolution virtual reality gameplay. I am seriously impressed with its strikingly clear graphics and visuals, especially for a laptop this thin.
The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer comes standard with Skylake, the 6th generation Intel Core i7 processor. It has a 14nm process that gives me lightning fast speeds and remarkable performance. Because of this performance, I can play at faster, more efficient speeds without stressing out this gaming laptop.
Having a great graphics card and processor is wonderful, but what does that do if I cannot see these graphics in a stunning way? The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer boasts a QHD 2560×1440 IPS display with a unique viewing angle that ensures I do not miss a single detail of the action in game. This display also perpetuates the striking colors that come off of my graphics card and looks great during screen sharing. The display on the Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer looks startlingly great for gaming and movies alike.
- 6th Gen Skylake Intel Core i7 processor; 14nm
- Dazzling 14 inch vibrant display
- Long lasting 94.24 Wh battery
- NVIDIA Ansel with 360 degree, shareable screenshot capabilities
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 Series
- Unique viewing angles
- Virtual Reality ready: low latency VR gameplay
- Loud fans. Since I tend to use a gaming headset, this does not bother me much but I felt that it was worth mentioning. The Aero 14Wv6-BK4 14″ Notebook QHD IPS 6th Gen Intel Skylake Slim and Light Gaming Laptop Computer has cooling fans that are a bit noisy. While I know that these fans are for my benefit and run at the speeds that they do in order to keep my gaming laptop running smoothly and efficiently, during high intensity, demanding gameplay, the fans can be a bit distracting. That said, most gamers that I know use headsets as I do, and if you are one of them, this will not be such a large issue.
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK Gaming Laptop
Top Features of the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop
In order for things to run smoothly, a good gaming laptop is going to need an even better processor. The Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop comes with an Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core processor with a 6MB cache. It can work with the RAM and be over clocked at an impressible 3.5 GHz, giving me impossibly fast boot up times and general start up times for all of my applications and games. This saves me a lot of time and gives me efficient performance all at once. With such a powerful processor, I feel like I have the world at my fingers using the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop.
The Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop also has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card that provides me with stutter-free, lag-free, super smooth gameplay. This graphics card also houses 4GB GDDR5 of discreet memory. With the stunning in game visuals, even on my most visually demanding games, I am getting incredible frame rates per second to ensure an effortless gaming experience that is as beautiful as it is seamless. This is also great for video editing, which I like to do sometimes as well.
Stays Cool Under Pressure
One of the most important things that a gaming laptop can have is the ability to keep cool. Without this ability, I have noticed that most laptops built for gaming will overheat and shut off after a very short period of gameplay. I do not have this issue with the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop. This laptop features an innovative thermal cooling design that can easily handle the aforementioned powerful processor and the graphics cranked all the way up. The Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop has two cooling fans as well as three separate exhausts. Big vents come with 240 thermal fins, and all of these components work in harmony to give me truly uninterrupted gaming. It never even gets warm to the touch beneath my hands which is an added benefit, and this might just be the best gaming laptop for cooling because of this.
Superb Battery Life
The Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop also has a 6-cell 74Whr battery. This impressive battery has given me up to 10 hours of game time before. It is so nice not to be tied down to a cord out of fear that my gaming laptop will die on me in the middle of a match. Not only is this insane battery life a remarkable feature for a gaming laptop to have on its own, the thin 1-inch design of the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop means I can take this anywhere with me for hours of uninterrupted use wherever I want to go. I use it mostly for LAN parties and for traveling as it can outlast even the longest of flights.
Great Audio and Visuals
Finally, I want to talk about the overall media found within the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop. This laptop has a 15.6-inch FHS IPS wide-angle display that resists glare from both indoor and outdoor sources of light. It has a superior 1920 by 1080 resolution that serves to complement that incredible graphics card. The keyboard on the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop is backlit, making it so that I never miss a keystroke and always know exactly what key I am pressing. This is wonderful for gaming at night. It has a precision touchpad that furthers this accuracy by giving me great response times, and this touchpad even comes with the support of gestures.
The audio of the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop comes in the form of Waves MaxxAudio Pro, which is a high, studio quality processing software. This software brings clarity to any film, music or in-game audio thanks to the built in Dell subwoofer and performance speakers. I like this because it means that I do not always have to wear a headset when I do not want to. Even playing with the sound openly available like that, I can still hear every single thing with the utmost of clarity. This gives me better freedom of motion and makes me more comfortable when I sit down to enjoy my usual, long gaming marathons.
- 10+ hour battery life
- 15.6 inch anti-glare wide-angle screen
- 1920 x 1080 p resolution
- 1-inch thick
- 4GB GDDR5 of discreet memory
- 6 cell, 74 Whr battery
- Backlit keyboard
- Instant boot up
- Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core processor with a 6MB cache
- Over clocking up to 3.5 GHz
- Precision touchpad with gesture support
- Super cheap gaming laptop
- Waves MaxxAudio Pro
- WiFi. Some reports online indicated that a few people who have tried the Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop had issues with the WiFi driver upon using it for the first time. While I did not personally experience this issue myself, I did a bit of research on the matter before reviewing it and saw that this issue was easily resolved through a quick download from Dell. With everything that this laptop can do, I definitely would not let that small hiccup deter you!
I have chosen the:
ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VM
as the best laptop of this roundup due to its gorgeous, anti-glare matte display that has a 1920 by 1080 pixel resolution. It even has 4 preset color modes to enhance said resolution and the ability to scale back the graphics when battery power is needed. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTC 950M graphics card and backlit keyboard that are both exceptional, and a high powered, dual copper fan cooling system that is unmatched. I recommend this laptop to anyone who is serious about his or her gaming.
Benefits of Buying a Gaming Laptop
– Power. A gaming laptop will often come with an incredible processor that works hand in hand with its RAM to produce the ability to do basically anything that a person wants to do. Gaming laptops are also meant for over clocking, meaning that by using a gaming laptop, you can get phenomenal speeds and impossibly fast power up times that make your laptop run more efficiently.
– Graphics. Gaming laptops come standard with high quality graphics cards built right into them so that you do not have to worry about purchasing additional ones. These graphics provide fantastic imagery in game–something that cannot be matched with a simple graphics card for a standard notebook.
– Battery Life. Because gamers often tend to use a gaming laptop for extensive gaming marathons, a gaming laptop usually comes complete with a high power battery that can withstand exceptionally long periods of use.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Gaming Laptop
– Price. Gaming laptops afford a gamer the convenience of playing a game in a high-powered setting without having to use a bulky, stationary desktop. Because of this, big things will inherently come in small packages, so a higher dollar amount is expected. That said, there are plenty of gaming laptops at an affordable price, so it is important that you are assessing the true value of a gaming laptop before purchasing.
– Cooling systems. You definitely want a gaming laptop that incorporates fans and hopefully other cooling functions. If the laptop is not kept cool it can become unstable during long gaming sessions, causing it to possibly overheat, begin lagging which might make you lose, or perhaps even shut down in the middle of a match.
– RAM. Look for something with a lot of RAM if you want to over clock in order to get the most speed and efficiency from your system.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Gaming Laptop for Your Needs
– Choose a laptop with a tactile keyboard for better control over your keystrokes to avoid misclicks.
– Ensure that the gaming laptop you are considering comes with at least a decent processor if you want it to run as efficiently as possible with the most power behind it.
– Check out gaming reviews such as the detailed ones below before making your decision to see what those who have actually used it think about the system.